If you're reading through this, odds are you've moved or are intending to proceed to Qatar.
Me? I've not been here lengthy. In fact, today marks 3 several weeks to the day we touched lower in Doha.
But in individuals 3 several weeks, I've had several encounters (both negative and positive) that trained me the inner workings if this involves getting settled in Qatar.
And I wish to share these training with you in this short article.
And So I give you the 10 things you should know before you decide to relocate to Qatar.
1) You'll need a worldwide driver's license. No, you cannot acquire one here. Should you appear to Qatar without them, you will simply be in a position to rent a vehicle for 2 days. Which means you will not be mobile until your residency comes in and you may apply for a Qatari license. A worldwide license can be achieved in your house country in just moments and should not set you back greater than $15.
2) Its considered very impolite to provide to shake a Muslim woman's hands. How can you tell? You professionally wait for her to increase her hands first.
3) There's just one outlet for alcohol. Unless of course you visit certainly one of the worldwide hotel bars, the best way to possess a drink would be to visit the government controlled distribution outlet (there's just one in the country). Be conscious that anybody without residency isn't permitted to go in.
4) Living in Qatar frequently means you have to help make your own fun. If you're the type of person that should possess a moving night life, Qatar is most likely not the place for you. Yes, you will find clubs. Yes, you will find restaurants. But the entire scene is developing. For fun, people frequently visit each other people’s houses. Thus, doing a bit of only networking can certainly help you identify some buddies when you turn up.
5) The city utilizes roundabouts rather than traffic lights. For you Britons, this can be a no-brainer. For individual’s people from the New World, you should improve regarding how to use roundabouts before you decide to come. Discover entirely obvious cooking techniques, you risk endangering yourself and individuals driving surrounding you.
6) Living alongside a mosque often means an earlier wakeup call every day. Personally, I find the call to prayer soothing (hey, a minimum of it does not seem just like an Attacking Young Boys track). It will start early, though. Living alongside a mosque may mean getting this call broadcast to your home 5 occasions each day (the first call coming as soon as 4am).
7) Taxis rarely can be flagged. Knowing this, your best choice would be to rent a vehicle the moment you arrive in the city.
8) Get the levels/certifications attested by the Qatar Embassy in your house country before you decide to come. Save the headache. Visit the Qatar Embassy and encourage them to stamp the back of the professional qualifications. Your employer will probably enable you to get to FedEx your documents home should you appear here without attestation from the embassy.
9) Overstayed visas are compensated for at the Doha airport terminal. I learned this the painfully costly way. If you must have to overstay your visa (which happens more frequently than many people think), you have to pay your fine at Passport and Visa Control in the Doha airport terminal. You don't pay this fine at the immigration departments that speckle the city. Likely to the immigration department will result in you waiting 6 hrs after which being told to visit the airport terminal. And before you decide to request: yes, the Passport and Visa Control office at the airport terminal is open 24 hrs each day, seven days a week.
10) Qatar is costly. Allow me to repeat that: Qatar is extremely costly. For those travelling here to appear for work, be ready to spend out serious money to permit yourself time for you to look around for the right jobs in Qatar.
Individuals are the 10 large ones, and that i hope they create your transition to the Condition of Qatar much softer. Be assured, Qatari individuals are very welcoming and you'll likely love the time spent here!